View Single Post
Old November 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Most commercial molds are produced with Lyman #2 in mind as the general alloy to be used. That said the closer you come to it, the closer your bullets will be to what they are supposed to be.

I use straight WW and several other alloys, and I hardly ever give a second thought to the end weight. That said I DO care if they are within a certain range of +/- 3 to 5 grains, but if the mold is supposed to pour a 240gr bullet, and my alloy comes out at 245 or 250 overall I simply go with it, and load accordingly.

What you will find is that the more actual lead you have in your alloy the heavier the bullets will be. Lino will lighten them up as you have noted. There are however other things that can and do change the weights as well such as other metals in the alloy and also the temperature at which you pour, and the temp of your molds as well.

If you haven't been there I highly suggest you look up the LASC homepage or follow the link below,
The Cast Bullet / Hunting Articles Of Glen E. Fryxell

If you look around on this site you will find answers to just about anything you might need with regards to cast bullets and alloys. The free download is a VERY valuable tool to keep in a 3-ring binder out on your bench.

As for your mention of using the Lino for HP's, well you already answered your question about how well it is going to work out for you. I myself have been working on blending up an alloy specifically to use for my HP's with the basic materials I have. Since my most abundant alloy comes from Isotope Cores that is my base with which to work. I have to add in almost 2/3 of pure lead to how much I am working with and still add in some tin to help even out the antimony so it isn't overly brittle. I use an alloy calculator that one of the members of Castboolits worked up in an Excell Spreadsheet. It can be found here, Lead alloy calculators

Since most of the raw material so to speak I work with is listed here it makes it VERY easy to determine how much of this that or the other I need to add in to get the desired result.

I hope this helps out some as I know that dealing with something you think is going to be one thing only to have it be something else can be a bit frustrating.

Page generated in 0.02684 seconds with 8 queries