View Single Post
Old August 16, 2013, 12:01 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Do we have some obligation to history not to destroy future collectibles just for history's sake?
Now there's a question....

and here's an answer (and not the only answer, just an answer),

That's how they get to be future collectables, until most of them are destroyed (lost, worn out, used up etc...) they aren't collectable, they are common (and usually cheap).

Back when I was a lad, young men with a desire to tinker, most often tinkered with cars and guns. Today they tinker with programs and video games....

Custom sporterized rifles were both high utility tools and works of art. Bubba was around back then, too. We didn't call him by that name in those days, but his hack job work was just as obvious then as it is today.

What's sad is the more and more common belief that any change to the original is "Bubba" at work. And the belief that appearance (original issue condition) has more value than function (a lightened, accurized, scoped rifle).

I'm proud to have been a part in "destroying the history" of many rifles.

because to me, while I do enjoy having and collecting military issue condition guns, I ALSO enjoy using my guns for things, and having my guns be as best suited for their use as practical.

Which gun would you choose to shoot woodchucks with, the 8mm Kar98k in stock condition, or the 98 action .22-250 with a 26" Douglas barrel, Bishop stock, Timmney target trigger and Weaver K-8 with fine crosshairs?

I've got a 1903 Springfield, reworked into a gorgeous .25-06, with a semi target stock and a 12oz trigger. It currently wears a high power variable scope. Shoots amazingly well. The only thing it won't do better than the GI original is take a bayonet, and survive beating someone to death without noticeable damage...(neither of which I have any likelihood of needing to do)

That gun, at a gunshow, scope included cost me just over half of what the stock GI gun was selling for.

I can see not altering a pristine (or good condition) milsurp today, its both economically impractical, and foolish, where there are so many guns already "Bubba'd" that can be worked on. But don't you dare think me a criminal destroyer of historical artifacts because 40 years ago I improved something that was nearly as common as, and as cheap as dirt.

I'm now wondering if somewhere on some auto forum there is some guy getting chastised by some other guy for wanting to turn a beat up 68 VW Beetle into a dune buggy..........or because in 68 he did it to a 63?

Page generated in 0.03554 seconds with 8 queries