View Single Post
Old October 4, 2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCane
...I was under the impression that in order for a non licensed individual to purchase a rifle in a state other than his own, he would have to "purchase" the rifle from an FFL dealer in that state. The simple "transfer" of the weapon between two non FFL holders could only take place in the purchasers own state and thru an FFL holder in that purchasers state. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of the law.
Not quite right. See 18 USC 922(b)(3) (emphasis added):
Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States ...

Page generated in 0.02583 seconds with 8 queries