View Single Post
Old June 18, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It might simply be a mistake. BATFE does often inspect the business premises of applicants for a dealers' FFL, and applicants for manufacturer's licenses. But they are not authorized to inspect the premises of the holder of or applicant for a collector's license.

The presumpiton under the law is that a collector carries on his activity in his own home, not in a place of business. They are authorized to look at a collector's bound book, but the collector can take his book to their office. They can ask to inspect the book at the home, but cannot require it and cannot inspect (i.e., search) the home without a warrant. I would query very closely any effort by BATFE to "inspect" my home under any pretext, unless they can obtain a warrant. Your friend might want to tell BATFE that he will refer their request to his attorney, if they persist, then actually hire an attorney. It will cost some money but the loss of a serious collection to some anti-gun zealot with a badge will be much more costly.

Jim

Page generated in 0.04301 seconds with 8 queries