View Single Post
Old October 25, 2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I bought the TTSX for two reasons.

One, because I'm only shooting deer and I like light and fast. There is no big game bullet in 7mm lighter than the 110gr TTSX.

Two, I saw a deer shot at 40 yards with a 140gr Core-Lokt Ultra from a 7-08 and the bullet shattered on impact. Killed the deer, for sure, but 40 yards is very average distance around here and I want a bullet that will hold together. This is a single incident and certainly not statistically significant. Still, it concerns me.

I asked Barnes about shooting the 110gr TTSX in a rifle because velocities could exceed 3,300 fps with a 24" barrel. They said the bullet is tested (every batch) to hold together at speeds "well beyond" 3,300 fps and if ANY bullet fails the whole lot is scrapped. They also said expansion will be reliable down to 1,800 fps.

I have only killed one deer which was a button buck at 40 yards. It was a "Boom!", flop, dead situation. Expansion seemed good based on the exit hole the size of my thumb. Internal damage was excellent. Likely, most any bullet might have done it. However, most any bullet won't get rifle velocities in a 15" barrel.

So, all things considered, for me, yeah it's worth it.

Page generated in 0.03195 seconds with 8 queries