View Single Post
Old September 17, 2012, 05:31 PM   #28
HiBC

wnchester:I agree with most of what you said.Here is where we differ:

In my 30 yr career as a machinist/toolmakerQC/etc I have learned there is more than one way to take a measurement.Some are better than others,but if we are measuring the same thing to the same degree of precision,it does not matter much.

I agree,by itself,the bushing gage only checks hi/lo limit.

I agree,the Hornady/Stony Point caliper attachment will allow a comparative before/after measurement to control how much setback you are making.

The OP said he had calipers and (I think) bought the bushing gage.

Case inserted in the bushing gage,the shoulder is resting on a datum diameter,yes?Just like the Datum bushing on the caliper attachment.If the OP uses his calipers to measure the +/- over the case head and bushing,he is achieving exactly the same measuring process as using the caliper attachments,and it is done with the same calipers,to the same precision.

If anything,IMO,as the over bushing measurement is more direct,no clamping on of attachments and adapters,it is probably more repeatable/accurate.

Once again,I agree with what you are saying,I think I failed to clearly communicate how to measure it with the bushing gage and caliper.

I actually have a small black granite surface plate/comparator stand with a dial indicator I can slide the bushing gage and cartridge case under for a quick inspection.

Its all good!

Page generated in 0.03233 seconds with 8 queries