View Single Post
Old December 5, 2010, 08:37 PM   #21
PetahW

FWIW, when I was shopping for a .375 boltgun, I narrowed my choices down to the .375H&H Ruger 77 Magnum (long B 4 the .375 Ruger was born) @ $1500 (at the time, now $2K); the .375H&H Winchester M70 Safari @ $925 (at the time); and the .375 CZ550 American Safari @ $710 (at the time).

I ruled out the Ruger Magnum, strictly because it cost 50% more than the Winchester & twice as much as the CZ - BUT, if I could have afforded it at the time, it was my first choice, AND had as good a resale/collector value as an M70.

Although I wanted a Model 70 Safari next - I found that one in .375H&H was unobtainium - so, after trying to get a .375 for 6 mos, I "settled" for a .458 M70 Safari.

I found the .458 less then flexible, so then sold it.

I ended up with a .375 H&H CZ550 American Safari, and after I got it, was very glad I had finally drilled down to it.

The fit/finish was suberb, the stock wood of excellent quality, as was the chechering - AND it was issued with a 2nd recoil lug, under the barrel, about 4" ahead of the main lug.
Being basically a Mauser 98 with scope dovetails cut into the tops of the receiver rings (Burris makes nicely-finished rings @ 1/2 cost of CZ rings), a shooter knows exactly what they're getting.

My CZ was issued with only two things I didn't like:

The forward Q.D. sling swivel eye was mounted in the forend wood, where it could batter the forward hand under recoil - I removed it & installed a barrel band Q.D. swivel eye ahead of the forend tip.

The safety works in reverse, from what I had been used to - it was : "forward = safe, back = fire"; but with practice I became accustomed to it.

Did I say it was accurate ?

Page generated in 0.02522 seconds with 8 queries