View Single Post
Old August 15, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1
SOCOMII

First IDPA Match

I have been trying for 6 months to shoot in a match but something always came up (forgetting to register in time, had a kid, etc etc.) My goal was to use an XD 4" 45 in ESP, and also begin reloading to practice more and shoot in matchs. All I bought were lead semi wad cutters but they have MAJOR issues in XD's but I didn't do the research on that until after the XD jammed every 2 rounds. What fun.

There is no way I can try and compete with the XD and reloads. So I decided to use a 1911 and the reloads, as they tested fine at the range. I was set.

So I get to the range for the match and realize that I forgot to bring my mag holder. Never mind the fact that I have been practicing, reloading, practicing, reloading, drawing, firing, reloading, firing, drawing for MONTHS waiting for all the planets to line up and I was now going to have to wrestle the mags out of my pockets. I had not practiced that....

Now we are ready to start and the RO begins collecting the scoresheets, but I am not at all familiar with the process. I had read through the rule book but I'm no legal eagle and it made my eyes hurt, and it was mostly rules. I knew I needed a holster, a gun, some bullets, and a "concealment garment" that I did not actually need at the match, but I used a shirt anyhow. I had stuff from IDPA and I am sure at some point in time I knew it cost money but wasn't focused on that.

So everyone has to wait around for me to walk back up the range and get a scoresheet. I tell they RO "It's my first time". He says "You have shot a gun before right?" That was just what I needed to hear....put me right at ease.

So I get the scorecard and everyone starts after a walk-through of Stage 1. I get to go last and everything starts fine and then THE GUN JAMS. That was awesome. The RO wants to call it but I keep fumbling to clear the jam. The mag is out, I can't pull the slide back. The slide is not fully forward so I whack the slide forward with my left hand and insert the mag and fire, reload and it JAMS AGAIN. Same issue, whack it, insert mag, bang, bang, finish the stage. My time is off the charts but at least I can shoot straight.

There are 6 RO's all looking at me like I have some sort of Saturday Night Special. "Is your gun going to be ok?" the RO asks. I say "It's the reloads" and they are looking at me like I should just pack it up, but I say "I'll get some factory loads." I didn't really care what ammo I used but I was not expecting my reloads to fail twice. :barf:

Stage 2 goes along and I shoot the rest of the match fine. I hit a few non-threatening targets I never even saw and reloading from my pockets was the best ever. Very smooth. Everone should carry 2-3 loaded steels mags in their pocket at all times.

I was surprised how little I thought about aiming and how much was pointing and shooting. I didn't rush at all and shot straight because of it, and I did not kill anyone around me.

When I decided to use the 1911 I also decided that the "push-pull" grip technique I had been using for the last 15 years was no longer practical. I started to practice the 2-handed grip I saw in the magazines. Grip the gun high, thumbs forward along the slide. It was very effective in practice and for the match. I also switched to both eyes open all the time. It helped practicing with a rifle I have with a red dot sight on it.

I'll only be the new guy once, thankfully. I had a good time and will be shooting two matches a month now. I'll practice with the lead until it's gone and then try and use some jacketed round-nose for the 1911 and the XD in matches, but I'll bring some factory loads just in case.

-out

Page generated in 0.04552 seconds with 8 queries