Thread: I need practice
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Louca

Quote:
Rapid fire drills need to be developed by starting slow and working your way into speed and accuracy.
Amen! I was a martial arts instructor for several years and everyone was always trying to throw fast strikes. I always told them if they wanted to go fast, they needed to go slowly. Of course, their response was, "What?!"

The problem when trying to go fast is the "trying" part of it actually keeps you from going fast. Instead of concentrating on speed, concentrate on smoothness. As the smoothness improves, the speed naturally increases. My MA students quickly found themselves throwing faster and faster strikes "naturally" without actually trying to do it.

I sometimes think speed is overrated. In competition, it is everything, but in true SD situations, I am not so sure. True, there are situations where the second shot of a double tap came just in time to prevent a shot from being returned. But that can be said for any speed. The product of speed times accuracy is sometimes thought of as a good indicator of effectiveness. But I am thinking shot placement trumps speed. A poorly place fast shot is probably not as good as a well placed slower shot.

Anyway, this is a fantastic thread with great advice from so many. I think I am actually going to print it out. Thanks folks!

Lou

Page generated in 0.03662 seconds with 8 queries