View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
magyarbacsi

MAS49-56 trigger slap

Many years ago I purchased a 49-56 in the .308. From the beginning the rifle did not function right, i.e.inconsistent feeding, jam after 3 rounds and the painful trigger sting. Recently joined this forum and found several MAS owners with the same problem.

Here is what I did that fixed all of the problems,except accuracy. The 308 version does need a way to reduce gas flow to the bolt. I removed the original gas block components and converted it to a variable where I can adjust the amount of gas by simply turning in a screw. If you have basic mechanical skill, know how to drill and tap, you can do it yourself. The one I made runs the tapered screw tip straight into the the gas tube opening in the block.

Another fix was the hammer protrusion. I looked at the tool used to set the right height and decided to make one using my harborfreight mill. I set the protrusion to .9mm. Took the trigger assembly apart, polished the contact points and re assembled. I have tried removing one leg of the trigger spring from the safety, but found that the trigge did not always re set. I then put a slight bend in both legs and had the same issue so it is back to stock setting.

Range day. Took 60 rounds of various brands, S&B, PPU and some British 308s. I did previously worked on the magazine by slightly bending the right lip open as I found the bolt sometimes just rode over the round and did not catch it. This solved that problem. I loaded 3 rounds to start and opened the gas screw 3/4 turns. Fired all three off without any sting and the feeding was perfect. Then loaded a full magazine and started to reduce the gas to see how far I can turn it down before fail to feed or extract. I was surprised how far I could close it. Never completely shot it down, but found that 1/4 to 1/2 turn still performed flawlessly. What I did find is that groupings changed with the different ammo as well as where and how far the brass was ejected. By the way, no torn rims on any of the brass.

At the end I just shot and load the last 20 rounds at a 100 yds 5" bulls eye and every round,except 1, failed to feed the first time, fed and ejected, no trigger sting and recoil was pleasantly low. Of the 20 rounds, 10 were right in the black with a 4" spread and 10 were all around in the white with a 16" spread. Anyway, I fixed the two main issues I had with the rifle and next I will work and consistent and tighter groupings. I dont expect the same result that I obtained from my M39 of 3/4" MOA or my K31, but hope to get 3-4". All the range test was without any attachments to the barrel like the launcher. Did keep the flash supresr on. Not looking to keep the original looks as this rifle is but ugly and for now is only a 50 yd rifle. I'm just looking for a dependable 308. of which I have several and for now the MAS is at the bottom.

I hope this gave you some suggestions to those who have the same malady with your rifle. One thing for sure if you have the 308, tame the gas flow to the bolt. Try it, you'll like it. I'm not the only one who's come to the same conclusion.

The weather in Seattle was high 50's with 15-20 mile winds and I had the range all to myself.

Page generated in 0.02338 seconds with 8 queries