View Single Post
Old March 24, 1999, 09:52 PM   #7
Michael Carlin

JMC,

I have loaded thousands(many maybe a hundred thousand) rounds of pistol and I agree with you 100% for pistol! But.... you miss the point!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My service rifle (5.56mm NATO) loads....Which is to say that a progressive may not be the most effective way to build super accurate bottle neck competition ammunition. [/quote]

No matter how you slice it, "bottle neck" rifle ammo, even in a carbide die, needs to be lubed. Then before it can be shot, degreased.

Serious rifle ammunition requires that all brass be prepared with several steps that pistol shooters can skip! Testing at mid-range (600 yards)shows that the gain for this IS significant!

For a highpower rifle bottle neck case shooter a preogressive may not be the ticket to reloading speed that we pistoleros enjoy.

Bottle neck cases need trimming to length, and if your use military brass (I like Lake City) primer pocket crimp needs to be swaged or reamed. The primer pocket should be uniformed, and the flashhole deburred.

I know that some very successful high power shooters may not do these things, but a great many of us are! We are taking lessons from the bench rest boys in the production of ammunition that utilizes the full potential of the rifle.

JMC you and your brother are undoubtedly very good shooters, but Service Rifle is a game won not with a faster time, but with more "X"s and tens!.

Apples (pistols) and oranges (rifles)!

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited March 24, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries