View Single Post
Old April 9, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
F. Guffey

“Otherwise, realize that the vast majority of dies from all makers are 14 thread pitch, meaning that it takes 14 turns to move them 1 inch. That means that one turn is 1/14th inch (0.0714) and 1/4 turn is 1/56th (0.0178). You can see that a 0.001 adjustment is a tiny turn, about 1/64th, or quarter of a quarter of a quarter of a turn”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------------

After making the tiny adjustments understand verifying is a good thing, after doing all the memory work with the incline plain and making adjustments use the feeler gage to verify the adjustment, after verifying with the feeler gage for a few months it will suddenly dawn on you it is not necessary to make the guestimates of fractions and or degree converted to thousands when verifying, I skip the guestimate, I go straight to the feeler gage and make the adjustment, the feeler gage is a standard, the feeler gage is transfer, the feeler gage is a verifying tool.

Then there are shims that are added between the die and press beneath the lock ring, to add shims remove the die, again, or use the feeler gage, for $40.00 + the Redding competition shell holders are an option, I recommend a reloader get familiar with the press, nethods and techniques. Even if you purchase the Redding shell holders they come in sets. $40.00+ for each shell holder used by some reloaders could be expensive.

Again, I was at the Mesquite Big Town gun show when I found a dealer that had a #6 set for $5.00, I could not pass up that deal, I measured the deck height of all 5, 3 of them were off by .001” each, not a problem for me, I could correct each one of them with a feeler gage, that would be +/- .001” as in decreasing the deck height or increasing the deck height. With the feeler gage I have 11 options instead of 5.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02295 seconds with 8 queries