View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Bad habits, starts with “Do like the bench resters do, they full length size etc., etc..”,

With total disregard for methods and or techniques available to the reloader they continue to full length size, it is possible to determine the length of the chamber from the shoulder back to the bolt face, it is possible to determine the length of of a fired case from the shoulder of the case back to the head of the case, problem, fire forming is considered a profession, a reloader chambers a 30/06 round, fires the case, then suddenly/instantly become a fire former. Back to methods and techniques, a reloader can measure the length of a fired case from the shoulder/datum back to the head of the case to determine the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face, (Problem: Memory work, as in repeat after me: Head space is etc., etc..). If I fire a case to determine the length of the chamber I measure the length of the case from the shoulder back to the head of the case, to determine the effect the chamber will have on the case when I fire it I measure the length of the chamber first (again, from the shoulder of the chamber back to the bolt face).

Minimum length???? I have surplus ammo as in military ammo that has never been fired that date back to 1903, I have unfired ammo from the 30s, I have unfired ammo that date from 1941 to 1945, I know the effect the chamber will have on the case before firing, I know the length of the chamber before I fire a minimum length unfired round in it. Head space does not drive me into the curb or lock me up, again, there is a chamber length, there is a case length, one from the shoulder of the case back to the head of the case, the other from the shoulder of the chamber back to the bolt face.

Again, I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel, I off set case travel with the length of the case, then there is the one track mind, from the beginning there have been different designs of receiver configurations, a good question starts with describing the make and model of rifle, again, a friend fired cases for forming, he had 4 case head separations with the first 10 rounds fired, the deductive reasoning he used was ‘I was wrong’, I suggested I could have told him it would not work before he left the shop, I suggested I could have met him at the range and corrected the problem before he began forming, I suggested I could have formed cases for his chamber before he loaded his ‘fire to form’ cases.

All of my presses have threads, all of my dies have threads, then there are cases that have been fired in trashy old chambers, and, forming dies, I do not have less than 15 forming dies. there is something beyond ‘HEAD SPACE’, beyond head space is the length of the chamber, I determine the length of the chamber at least three different ways, again, with out a head space gage because head space gages cover 3 different length for the 30/06. +.005 beyond minimum length, .009” beyond minimum length and .014” beyond minimum length, and I think that is nice, only nice because I want to know the length of the chamber in thousandths, I have 14 options between minimum length and field reject length.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02215 seconds with 8 queries