View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Sevens

Running handguns slugs WAY past their intended velocity

Up for discussion and opinion--
This was part of a response I got from Coy Getman, CCI/Speer Sr. Technical Coordinator thru e-mail. This was more than two years ago. I was looking for load data using the .32 Auto's typical 71 grain FMJ slug -- in .327 Federal Magnum.
Quote:
In many calibers you can use “the bullets that fit” the 327 Fed is not that caliber if you intend to use full-power loads. You’ll tear the forcing-cone up or stretch the frame with bullets not designed for full-pressure loads in the 327 Fed. Understand that is not an idle warning, it will happen, this is the place for premium bullets when top velocities are desired.

The way for me to “stay an expert” is to provide tested data and change that when components change. If we tested someone else’s bullets and they changed them and we did not know it, you’d be looking for gun parts and calling me “something other than an expert”.
Since getting that e-mail, I've loaded many hundreds of these light little pills, but I've NEVER loaded them to any harsh velocities -- I've typically loaded them around 1,300 FPS and I once loaded them to 1,590 FPS, all chrono'd. The 1,590 FPS loads were launched from a 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk.

It's likely possible to really ramp these light bullets up to crazy velocities in .327 Federal without exceeding maximum pressures, but his warning about damage to forcing cone and possible frame stretch have simply kept me from running them even as fast as I run the proper Hornady XTP slugs.

I've seen occasional load data (typically from a magazine article) where they ran 60 grain Gold Dots (also meant for .32 Auto) and the 71 grain pills at faster speeds.

I'm curious if anyone has any opinion or further explanation of how/why a bullet that was likely designed for speed around or under 1,000 FPS and for a much lighter pressure cartridge can/may damage a handgun when run at much faster speeds and much harsher velocities.

FWIW, I have no good reason to run these bullets any faster than 1,300 FPS. I have no end-game here, I'm just having fun with them and learning as I go.

I'm familiar with the concept of finding a properly constructed bullet--I load the Hornady XTP-Mag bullet in .460 S&W rather than their run of the mill .45 Colt slug for the same reasons.

I'd just like to know more about it and hear some ideas.

Page generated in 0.03211 seconds with 8 queries