View Single Post
Old October 27, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
BigJimP

We probably agree too much Zippy .... one of us is probably nuts...

I went thru this with my grandkids - and honestly what I did was buy a Benelli Super Sport 20ga / and one in 12ga as training guns. The 20ga is a little lighter / has a shorter length of pull. They're my guns - and all the kids use them as they are growing into things - and 2 of my granddaughters are 12/13 and they both handle the 20ga Benelli pretty well / with one of them moving up to the 12ga this last summer. But every kid is really different / upper body strength, arm length, etc. But the synthetic stocks, stainless receiver look - is a pretty cool looking gun too - and the kids all gravitate to it partly because of that as well.

Zippy is right about a good 12ga being a better long term gun / kids grow so fast .... I've kind of made it my thing in the family to give each of the grandkids a shotgun on their 16th birthday - if they have some interest in the sport. I've kept it pretty simple - going with a Browning BPS 12ga 28" barrel. Not too fancy - but something they can be proud of - and shoot for a long time. In hind sight, I would probably say buy a gun for yourself as a training gun / consider getting him something in a couple more years that would be more suitable for him long term.

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries