View Single Post
Old November 20, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
whiplash

Archie, funny you mention decaping. I was lookin at decapping dies today, and thinking the same thing. My .308 loads are pretty mild, so pressures were never really a worry. 44grs. of Varget. Got some more info... as I got to thinking, and jogged my memory. I THINK the brass i have problems with was sized BEFORE I polished my expander ball. I was dealing with concentricity, and read about taking emery cloth and LIGHTLY polishing the expander ball a few months ago. That helped on my recent sizing. I measured my expander ball tonight (after emery cloth) and it was .305 (.003 under .308). I compaired that to my other expander balls from 30-06, .300Win Mag, and 30-30, and they measured .306. So I figured I removed no more than .001 from my .308 expander ball. The problem brass neck thickness measured .010-.011, as compaired to my good brass, .013-.015. I still have 14rds left of that batch, so well see how that resizes with the polished expander ball. If I remember right, when I resized prior to polishing the expander ball, it was pretty rough as the ball passed back through the neck. Thats one of the reasons I ended up polishing the ball, along with trying to get things concentric. Now I just need a day off to go shoot.......thanks everyone for clearing some things up, and rattling my brain. I really need to start a journal, to write things down, like any modifications that were done etc.

Last edited by whiplash; November 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.03482 seconds with 8 queries