View Single Post
Old January 21, 2006, 08:42 PM   #1
kesserman

Plugs and Muffs - Indoor range

Just got back from my basic firearms safety class. I'm curious if shooters 'budget" the amount of 160+ decibel rounds they expose themselves to.

I get a little obsessive/compulsive about safety, and that extends to protecting my hearing. I bought a pair of Pro-Ears rated at 26db, and also used a pair of foam plugs rated at 33db.

I understand decibels are funny things (rated on a logarithmic scale) and NRR ratings are sketchy to say the least. In other words, I'm not getting 59db's of protection. Regardless, we're taking about 170db's of pressure! How can that not kill your hearing!

When I 'suit up', how much of that energy is making it to my ears? I'd like to know if I'm taking enough precaution.

I think I'm doing something right, because the last time I shot, I was only wearing a pair of Peltor 6's at an outdoor range. The guy next to me rattled me pretty good with his .45. By the end of my session, I was really stressed out.

My class had 8 shooters at a time. I felt the concussions, but not in my ears. I have to say, I didn't get stressed. I went outside when I wasn't shooting just to be on the safe side. (It might have been easier this time because we were just shooting 9mm and .38's)

Any thoughts on this long winded post would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 8 queries