View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #27
Lost Sheep

Half the story "C" vs "O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
It never made sense to me that MFG's will sell an "O" frame type press and tout the advantage of the )-frame design, and then that same MFG will turn around and make a C type press, add some extra die storage spots, call them turret presses, and expect people to think they are great and pay more for them....

Think about it, If the lyman T-mag were just a single stage press of the same open "C" type design, would anyone buy it even at half the price? NO WAY!!

The only current "C" style press I know of is made by lee, and only costs like $25....
Yes, but the Lee Reloader press is a lightweight, even for "C" presses. My friend stumbled agains his and snapped it off at the base. It is aluminum and the linkage does not provide heavy-duty leverage either. It is what it is and was meant to be. An economy-grade press for the loader doing loading that does not require a great deal of force and on a tight budget. My friend did 500 S&W on his until his Lyman arrived and it worked fine for that and would have continued to serve as his powder measure holder except for the accident.

The advantage of "C" presses (and if the frame is robust enough, there is no reason a "C" press could not match the rigidity of an "O" press except it would probably be about twice the weight) is that the open front makes it much more convenient, especially for loaders with large hands.

Everybody prefers what they prefer for their own reasons. Capitalism gives us choices. Ain't life grand?

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03041 seconds with 8 queries