View Single Post
Old October 12, 2011, 09:35 AM   #14
kraigwy

To make it simple, what you want is to have the power to continue pushing the bullet until it leaves the barrel, at that instant, the powder is completely burned. Meaning its all burnt up when the bullet exits the muzzle.

A good example is the M14 rifle with its 22 inch barrel. When loaded with 4895 pushing the M118 173 grain bullet, there is no muzzle flash when fired at night.

Our problem is determining that powder and how much. It depends on caliber, bullet weight, barrel lenght, etc etc. and then adjusted to our mail goal of ACCURACY.

None of us can tell you what that powder, bullet combination, is for your gun. All guns are different, even the same gun & caliber from the same manufactor.

Then we have enviormental concerns. One powder might work in you rifle perfectly at 60 degrees, 600 fl elevation, with X humitidy. Then it works different at 20 degrees at 10,000 feet, with Y humitidy.

Whats the answer? Is there an answer? Of course, but it might not be practical. The Best case would be to try every powder you can get, then change bullets, not just weights but brands. Same with the case and primers.

We know, even those who reload for everything, that this is not practical.

What I recommend, and what I do when starting to load for a new round or rifle, is to check with as many reloading manuals as I can find. Most give you an Accuracy Load. Compair the Accuracy Loads from the different manuals and get an average to try in your rifle. Then tweek the load to get the best accuracy you can get for your rifle.

Some one said, I don't remember if it was on TFL or some other site, that Shooting is nothing more then a means to play with their real hobby of re-loading.

Re-loading, and testing loads, in my opinion, is half the fun in shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02934 seconds with 8 queries