View Single Post
Old August 31, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
SamNavy

Also get the kid a bow. A month ago I spent $75 at BassPro and got my 5yr old daughter a "little kids" bow and a box target. The bow isn't strong enough to actually make the blunt-tip penetrate into the box, but I've told her that as soon as she can shoot the whole quiver (6 arrows) and hit the box every time all the way over at the shed, I'll get her a stronger bow that will actually stick in the target. She can do it at 5 yards, but not at 10. We practice a couple times a week... not gonna be long before I'm looking at one of the cheap plastic compounds on the rack at Dicks.

I think that the precision/concentration/patience that learning a bow requires is a basic building block skillset that transitions directly to firearms. A kid who has the discipline to safely knock an arrow-stance-draw-aim-breathe-release-followthough is way ahead of the game vs. the rather "simple" task shooting a gun.

Just like with anything we talk about, supervision is a must. I wouldn't let any kid shoot a gun unsupervised, and even a cheap bow can be just as lethal... keep'em locked up just like your firearms when not in use.

Page generated in 0.02203 seconds with 8 queries