View Single Post
Old June 6, 2010, 05:33 AM   #1
ac700wildcat

Should I get my headspace checked?

I had my Savage 30-06 at a gunsmith to get the re-crowned and just got it back a few days ago after he had it for 3 months. I was just looking at it and it the barrel isn't indexed in the same position as it was before. I can tell because it the barrel used to have sights on it that I removed and put fill plugs in the holes. If you are looking at the barrel from the butt end towards the muzzle, the plug is slightly to the right of where it used to be. I'd say it is to the right about the width of the plug, so I'm not sure exactly how many degrees that would be. I also just noticed that there is now a slight gap between the recoil lug and the receiver that I've never noticed before.

What should I do? I'm not sure I want to take it back to the same guy that is 90 miles from here as a simple project that he said would be 2-3 weeks took three months to get done and now I seem to be having a problem with how he put the rifle back together. I do have a gunsmith that is local, but he messed up a set of sights on me last year, so I'm not really sure I trust his work either. I suppose that he could at least check the headspace.

Page generated in 0.03679 seconds with 8 queries