View Single Post
Old June 14, 2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Read a test long ago, Mike. It's easy enough to repeat at home if you are interested. Fellow weighed a dozen or so charges from a new sealed can, and left them in petrie dishes for a few days of high humidity. Reweighed them and they weighed heavier. Likely varies from powder to powder how much."

Interesting.

I'm going to have to give this a try.

If I turn my dehumidifier off for more than 24 hours, my basement turns into swampthing's lair this time of year.

Could I dry the powder out in the over after I'm done?

"Folks who can't read the numbers on the dippers probably should not be reloading."

Accidents akin to grabbing the wrong dipper out of the box are SELDOM about comprehension problems. They're about unusual occurences or odd happenstances, or simple inattentativeness. That's why they're called accidents as opposed to "I see where Jimmy the moron blew off two more fingers and his left ear not paying attention while reloading... that only leaves him with half an ear and 3 fingers. He'd best quit while he's ahead."

I also wasn't claiming a safety issue for point two. There may be specific, gun related reasons why you want to stay in a narrow charge weight band, instead of creeping up .3 or .5 grains on average. Keeping your POA is a good reason.

Once again, using a scale allows you to fine tune your feel for using dippers, and is a good checksum procedure that any prudent individual should be interested in.

Oh, and there's one other reason why using a scale with a dipper is a good reason, espeically if you're working in new or unknown territory...

Loading manual typos.

Page generated in 0.03525 seconds with 8 queries