View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3850
FlyFish

Quote:
Sorry didnt read all the posts lol but I got the The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and couldnt find the serial number ranges for most if not all of the guns. Im trying to figure out the date of my victory. Am i reading it wrong or what?
If you have the Third Edition, the tabulation of serial numbers begins on p. 395, with additional information provided at the end (generally) of the text descriptions of each model. The book cautions that the production year information is only approximate, and guns were at times manufactured out of the regular serial number sequence. For some models - and your Victory is likely one of them - it's only possible to get a date within a wide range (e.g., 1915-1942). You can interpolate to narrow that down a bit, but any date obtained that way should be considered a very general approximation. It's also sometimes possible to narrow a range down a bit by careful reading of the description, noting when certain features were in use, and comparing to the gun in question.

Page generated in 0.03283 seconds with 8 queries