Thread: Gun Cleaning
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I know this will soon wear out my guns, but I only expect to last another fifteen years at most, so my guns, which are about fifty years old in some cases, will probably last that long.
Where did anyone say that stainless steel brushes will wear out guns?

The only comment I see was the one I made, and what I said was that I had never found them to be necessary--not that they would wear out guns.

That said, they are harder than bronze/brass brushes, just as bronze/brass brushes are harder than nylon brushes and nylon brushes are harder than patches. If I could get my bore clean in a reasonable amount of time with only patches I wouldn't use a brush at all. If I could get it clean with reasonable effort using a nylon brush, I wouldn't use bronze/brass. Since I can get it clean in a reasonable amount of time with bronze/brass, I don't use steel.

If you feel like you need to use steel, and aren't seeing any negative effects as a result, then more power to you. But it's a little overly melodramatic to try to make it sound like someone has prophesied doom & gloom on any guns that have been cleaned with steel bore brushes when all that's been said is that steel bore brushes aren't necessary.

Page generated in 0.03249 seconds with 8 queries