View Single Post
Old February 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
johnm1

Yup, the 24 and 24/47 are basically the same. At least on the outside. I did find a bolt for a Greek 1930 and have it on the way. Paid too much @ $110 for this project. Handguard is $20 and I still need some of the metal. But I figure I'll start looking at the next big show here in town for those parts. Pick up what I can here and there. Hopefully for less than standard internet pricing.

The real unknown is if the bolt will headspace correctly. My gunsmith will check headspace for free but a trip to the gunsmith to adjust headspace could be the breaking point. Hoping against all hope that the bolt I have on the way will headspace right.

The theme here is a low cost shooter. This thing will not be a beauty. The receiver ring is scrubbed pretty well and is in the white. You really need a magnifying glass to see the Greek crest. The bluing is great under the wood but has several issues near the muzzle. It was cheap and the bore, though a little dark, has really good rifling. I expect it will shoot well. With what I am hoping is a relatively cheap source of parts (24, 24/47) I'm hoping to keep the total cost under $250. Right now I'm up to $190. Future costs are:

Handguard estimated at $20
Sling swiver/band $??
Bayonet Lug $??
Floor plate/pin $??

At this point I don't see it coming in at much less than $250 and that is only if the bolt headspaces correctly.

I'm surprised nobody took me up on the 'Your Nuts' option. In the end I probably would have been better off just buying a 24/47 which go for between $150 and $200. Not nearly as much fun though.

Page generated in 0.03739 seconds with 8 queries