View Single Post
Old February 6, 2001, 10:34 AM   #4
linngl

I use my left hand for all operations, except for operating the press handle. I let my thumb on my left hand absorb the impact as the shell plate snaps at the index. The problem with powder getting slung out when the index ball snaps in the shell plate only occurs with short straight wall cases. In my case it was .40 S&W. I haven't had any problem with powder spilling out at the powder funnel. Did you install the proper size for .380? The instruction manual also said to thoroughly clean all internals of the powder measure and attachments, as they had been coated with a preservative at the factory. I used acetone and a q-tip to clean everything. Just be careful as the vernier adjustment has an o-ring that can be damaged, and don't get solvent on the plastic hopper. I don't have any powder residue on the press after a 500 round session. The powders I have used are Titegroup, Winchester Super Field, H-380, H-110 and AA-9. These are all flake or some ball variant and feed very well.
I just noticed something about your post. Your saying the powder is leaking at the junction of the uni-flow threads and the drop tube. Remove the spring and unscrew the takedown screw. You should now be able to lift the powder measure off of the press attachment. The main part of the drop tube screws into internal threads in the uni-flow body. Make sure that it is tight. I think it was all loose from the factory as you were supposed to clean it first.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that the sideways primer is caused by allowing the press handle to pass thru the neutral position and into the priming stroke. This causes the primer in the strip to be raised out of the strip. The primer is then free to bounce around. It takes a little practice, but stopping in the correct place will become second nature. As long as the primer stays in the strip until the priming stroke, you won't have any more sideways primers.

[Edited by linngl on 02-06-2001 at 11:16 PM]

Page generated in 0.02789 seconds with 8 queries