Thread: Colt Navy woes
View Single Post
Old June 28, 2008, 11:53 AM   #34
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Smokin' I was pondering the shim idea, too--at least as a temp. fix until a wedge arrives. (The parts place in Conn. takes forever to ship.) I could even trim a piece of feeler gauge.
Feeler gauge stock works great...I even make hand springs with feeler gauge stock.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't agree. The location of the wedge with respect to the barrel assembly is not a precisely controlled dimension. A better indicator of whether the barrel is properly installed on a Colt revolver is the cylinder end gap.
You can not agree all you want, but you are just contradicting yourself in doing so.
Your dimensional statement equates the shim that I mentioned on the wedge that is tryin to be temporarily repaired, and not to have happen again with a new wedge. Most companies like Cabelas are shipped with with a wedge so tight one has the smack it out. This one was probly at the same adjustment ... TOO TIGHT... ie your gap referance. Most new or used without damaged wedges or barrel assy's are set with wedge flush or a little more to the right side of th frame .004"-.008"...
Most shooters do not carry feeler gauges or calipers with them. So Flush will put you about .005" to .010" or without bind on the cylinder the barrel.
Follow me?

SH
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Page generated in 0.02131 seconds with 8 queries