View Single Post
Old March 22, 2000, 02:41 PM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

Hey Sport!

There's probably a bunch out here that could quote line and verse about formula's and graphs and figures about how and why a sub .25 caliber, flyweighted bullet with supersonic muzzle velocities will outperform a slower .30 caliber (and greater) bullet day in and day out. There is probably some theoretical validity to their arguments.

But I've noticed that there is a resurgence of a caliber that is well over 100 years old that is not only a lot bigger, and heavier, but also much slower - the 45/70. Here's a chunk of lead that in it's original form didn't travel much faster than 2000 f.p.s., and yet it's almost the bullet of choice of guides and outfitters in Alaska, and anywhere else there are really big critters. Why is this?

Here's my little bit of insight. I tend to simplify things, makes it easier to relate things and folks understand me better, so bear with me. Here it is, Big bullets, once they are started moving, are damn difficulty to stop. They tend to retain a whole lot more energy whenever they do eventually hit something. Also, they tend to retain that energy longer (that's in time and distance)- when compaired to a lighter bullet.

Here's an example to ponder... Take two items that are similar in size and shape, a ping-pong ball and a golf ball. Hurl them at a snowbank (or sand dune) with equal vigor. Which item will make the bigger impression? Even though lighter, and presumably faster initailly, the ping-pong ball will fairly bounce off your target, whereas the golfball will really whomp the stuffing out of your mark. You could even go so far as to make the compairson a bit more realistic by substituting the golf ball with a softball!

What does this have to do with Terminal ballistics? Well, it should illustrate that it really doesn't matter what the velocity of the round is, all those things can be calculated from data in the loading manuals anyway. What matters is most likely (1) bullet weight, (2) bullet placement, and (3)the overall accuracy of the round. Like the famous Marine Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller once said (about the enemy)... "You can't hurt them if you can't hit 'em!"

Hit your mark, and don't be seduced by the lighter, faster crowd. You don't need a Lazzoroni Superslinger, or a Remington Ultra whatever, you just need a big bullet, an accurate load for that bullet, and you need to hit your mark.

To address your remark about stabilizing a heavier bullet than 85 gn in your .243 Win... My first guess at the problem would be the rifling twist rate. Heavier bullets might require a faster twist. I know that many of the long range (800+ yards) target rifles chambered in .308 Win that I've fired had a twist rate or 1:10, whereas the medium range guns tended to have a 1:12 twist. This could be your problem.

Lemme know what you think!

Unkel Gilbey

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries