View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You don't think it's a handicap to have to load a firearm one shot at a time, through the muzzle, and replace the ignition device between every shot?

Quote:
What I *think* that you probably actually hate is the attitude that I too hate, which is "it's primitive season, you ought to using using LESS than what the law allows or you're a nincompoop". That attitude makes no sense, because why should anyone limit themselves when other fellow hunters will have the advantage in that season.
No, what I see is "I think it's unfair or I don't like it or I don't count it as "primitive" so nobody else should be able to use it either."

I've had many, MANY discussions with archery folks who are opposed to crossbows. Not one of them has been able to explain any fundamental reason why it should be illegal beyond either they don't want one or can't afford one so nobody else should have one either. Sure, they bloviate all technical, but when you root down to the base of their argument it's "I don't like it so you can't use it!" It usually masquerades as opposition to some perceived advantage that's really just vapor.

Most of these folks think crossbows are a "modern" invention. I guess 500 BC isn't old enough to be "primitive"? If not, muzzleloader dudes of any stripe are TOTALLY up a creek, eh?

Quote:
there's no "fun factor"
It's none of my business what another hunter considers "fun".

Quote:
But it does not make sense to be against what I'm proposing.
It doesn't make sense TO YOU because if it did you wouldn't be proposing what you're proposing. It makes lots of sense to me.

I see no sense in imposing some arbitrary standard.

Why should conicals and optics be illegal? Who says THAT defines "primitive"? Why should flintlocks be legal? Matchlocks are more primitive. Why should match-locks be legal? Fuses are more primitive. Why should RIFLING even be allowed? That's not very primitive.

"Muzzle loader" is the standard. Anything else is arbitrary. "Primitive" is arbitrary. Folks don't seem to realize that in-line muzzleloaders appeared (at least as early as) in the early 1800s and experiment with optics began at least as early as the 17th Century. "Primitive" sights didn't even start until the 1400s and they weren't adjustable. Should adjustable sights be banned?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.02325 seconds with 8 queries