View Single Post
Old December 5, 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
lenny7

Newbie: Time and cost per round?

I'm considering getting into reloading, as it sounds pretty appealing. I'm just about settled on getting a .357 and probably won't start reloading for a while after I get it, concentrating first on the proper use of a handgun, as this is my first one other than my .22, and I need to do more reading and research.

The time it takes is a big consideration, as I've got 3 young kids and a heavy workload. I'd like to be able to reload at least 100 rounds per hour, but of couse, more would be better.

Cost is another consideration (kids & a wife who wants new hardwood floors, kitchen redo, etc). I don't have a budget yet, but once I find out the time required for the various types of presses, I'll consider what's affordable.

So my questions are:
With the various types of presses, single-stage, turret, and progressive (do I have that right?), how many rounds per hour can I expect, once I get the hang of it?

For a .357 load, what can I expect the cost per 100 rounds to be, not including the costs of press, dies, etc?

One other consideration is that I might want to reload 30.06 rifle rounds in the future and while not requirement, a system that would allow that would be a plus. I've read the many threads about Dillion vs. Lee vs. RCBS, etc and it appears each brand has their loyal users.

I do like getting high quality stuff, but I have no problem starting with a good value system (not necessarily the cheapest) and upgrading later.

Thanks for your input. I found this board shortly after decided I wanted to purchase a handgun and am amazed at how helpful and friendly it is. I think of the many, many threads I've read I've only seen one that got a bit hot and none that I'd call a flame war. I can think of no other forum I've been on that can say this!

Regards
Pat

Page generated in 0.03871 seconds with 8 queries