View Single Post
Old January 16, 2013, 04:57 PM   #218
carguychris

Quote:
It seems they snuck in some extra "goodies" inside this bill no one had time to read. S 265.02 seems to mention possession of three or more firearms "criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree" and therefore a Class D Felony.
I don't think this is new.

The act appears to ratchet up the sentencing guidelines for persons convicted of Class D felonies under S 265.02, but the "three or more firearms" provision appears to have been preexisting; I am generally unfamiliar with NY penal law other than this new act, so I have no idea how long this provision has been in force, but this law apparently did not create it.
Quote:
On another forum I read that under this new law it is now another violation to target shoot on your own, private property. You must go to an accredited range to practice. Again this was on another forum and is why I'm questioning it.
I cannot find such a provision in the act. The act seems to prohibit the loading of more than 7 rounds in a firearm when on private property, which may be the source of the confusion.

However, there appears to be one interesting but narrow exception to the 7-round rule.
Quote:
S 265.20 Exemptions.
a. Sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11,
265.12, 265.13, 265.15 and 270.05 shall not apply to:...
7-f. Possession and use of a magazine, belt, feed strip or similar device, that contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, but that does not have a capacity of or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition, at an indoor or outdoor firing range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in arms; at an indoor or outdoor firing range for the purpose of firing a rifle or shotgun; at a collegiate, olympic or target shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the national rifle association; or at an organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association.
(emphasis mine)

Apparently, you're allowed to load more than 7 rounds when you're on the premises of an organized shooting range, but you must be using an 8-10rd magazine when you do it.

Last edited by carguychris; January 16, 2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: minor reword...

Page generated in 0.11303 seconds with 8 queries