View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 09:47 AM   #7
SL1

FloridaVeteran,

I really don't know how to answer your question. First, since you mention RCBS dies, I guess that the "issue" you are asking about is bullet setback, not the Lee FCD related issue that might lead to setback.

The bullet setback problems that I am aware of personally were in higher-pressure cartridges such as the 9mm and .40 S&W, where pressures about doubled from book maximums with setbacks that were on the order of 0.1". I doubt that the .45 ACP is COMPLETELY immune to the problem, but others may have better info on that. The only .45 ACPs that I personally load are fired in a revolver.

However, I did find that I needed to up my reloading procedures when I started reloading auto-loader cartridges. Setback was my major concern (along with keeping the dirt that the case picked-up from the ground out of my dies and guns.) For auto-loader rounds, I check each reloaded cartridge by pushing the bullet pretty hard against a benchsurface to be sure that it doesn't slide into the case. When I can find a decent spring scale at a decent price, I intend to formaliize that check into a specific push force on the scale. I have READ values of 30 to 50 pounds as the appropriate test value, but will experiment for myself to see where setback starts with MY guns.

Especially if you use mixed range brass for your reloads, I think you should ALWAYS consider the potential for setback. With some extra-thin case walls out there is some lots of brass (especially Remington) and the other unknowns that brass was subjcted to, it is entirely possible for ONE case to have an especially poor grip on its bullet, and one is all that it takes to ruin your day.

SL1

Last edited by SL1; August 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries