Thread: Compasses
View Single Post
Old September 10, 2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

FF, I've been using a Casio Triple Sensor Protrek now for years and I absolutely love it. It is a tad pricey and has bells & whistles you aren't interested in, but it falls within the upper limits of what you want to pay.

However, don't be too fast to write off the altimeter. If you're using your compass with standard 7.5' USGS topos, knowing your elevation can help you to better fix your location. Think of it as triangulating in 3-D. The downside to these altimeters is that they're based on barometric pressure, so you must reset to a known altitude when you start your trek each day, and rapidly moving weather fronts can throw you off.

Quote:
I have owned two of those Timex Expedition compass watches, but having a plastic face, they get all scratched up in the woods, and then I can't read them anymore.
There may be an answer to that. Try working the surface of the face with plain ol' automotive polishing compound. If the scratches are deep, you may have to go with automotive rubbing compound. I've used these on badly scratched plastic sunglasses, and while it takes time & effort, it does work.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.03875 seconds with 8 queries