Thread: wolves
View Single Post
Old January 3, 2014, 02:09 PM   #5
mwal

I hunt in NW WI I saw and shot my 1st deer in 5 years in wolf country. It has a huge impact. We also have had loss of deer due to harsh winter late spring last year and this winter has started out very harsh as well combined with Timber wolves and high populations of Black Bears and Bobcats and the DNR allowing over harvest of deer the herd has plummeted. We had a nice fresh snow during rifle season and all we saw were wolf tracks in many areas scouting for sign not a single hoof print crossing a road to be seen. The kill in the management unit I hunt is down 70% from 8 years ago. Also when wolves are around deer seem to be very nocturnal. The only people that love wolves are people that do not live where the wolves do. We have to be careful grouse hunting as the wolves have been killing bird dogs. They have always attacked bear and coon hounds but they are further away from the hunter's now they go after pointers 100 yards from the owner. They also attack dogs on chains in peoples yards. You can look up on the WI DNR website and see how many pets are killed in each northern county. NOw they are pushing further south and expanding there range as they eat there way out of game animals. The wolves are not fully to blame for declining deer herd but are a major factor. They and bears are the limiting factor in the ELk program that was started over 10 years ago. Kentucky traded some Elk for bears and there Elk heard has gone through the roof and is providing hunting opportunities. WE were promised to be hunting Elk by now but strangley hardly any calves survive. The difference predators. You do Not want wolves reintroduced. Check out all that has happened around Yellowstone and in Idaho

Mwal

Page generated in 0.02738 seconds with 8 queries