View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Out of the Box Magic

Last summer I bought a Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters in .270 Win after looking at most everything else in the store. It was smooth and the rifle just felt "right". The new trigger also seemed as good as anything else I tried in this price range. I also had changed from the scope I had on last year (heavy Mueller 4-16 X 50 with sun shield) to a new Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 BDC which IMHO is one of the best bargains in that price range.

So... I had it sighted in with cheapo CoreLoks and Power Points and it shot under an inch.

Today I went out with my brother to double check the sight settings since this year am using $40/box Winchester Supreme ballistic tips. After a simple sight tweak I fired a 3 shot group. Wow! 3 shots touching. Almost a one hole group at 100 yards and I've done nothing to this rifle except adjust the trigger pull to 3-1/2 lbs. It worked like they say it should.

Now I had lot's of second thoughts buying this with the trigger issues and quality issues I've been reading about but they did put a new X-Mark Pro trigger on it and the rifle seemed as well made as anything else I looked at.

I suppose a Savage, TC, Tikka T3 or one of the higher priced rifles "might" equal the groups this rifle can shoot but I know they won't beat it. The Remington reputation for accuracy is still true.

Maybe when they stick the "Buckmaster" name on it they take more care when building. I don't know but I sure am so pleased with this I just had to spout off.

Page generated in 0.03220 seconds with 9 queries