View Single Post
Old April 23, 2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Daryl

Just a note, for whatever it's worth...

My first centerfire rifle was a Remington 600 "Mohawk" chambered in .243. Nice, handy little rifle, but I was never able to get it to shoot under about 1.5" at 100 yards. It just wouldn't do it, no matter how many different things I tried. My dad bought me that rifle for Christmas when I was about 10, and later swore I burned more powder killing more coyotes than anyone he'd ever known.

That rifle killed a lot of critters. I shot several deer with it, and only the good Lord knows how many coyotes I killed over the years with that little rifle. The longest shot I can remember with it was at a javalina at around 450 yards, and I killed it just fine. I can't think of a single animal I ever missed that I could blame it on the rifle, and I didn't miss very many.

I finally shot out the barrel on that little rifle when I was about 16 or 17, and sold it to an ol' boy who wanted to re-barrel it. I replaced it with a Rem 700 in .270 Win, and a few months later I inherited a pre-'64 Win 70 in .243 when my grandfather passed away. This one has way better target accuracy, but it doesn't kill anything any better than that first rifle.

We all love accurate rifles, and most strive for that infamous sub-1" group "as long as we do our part", but it doesn't always happen. If you're getting 1.1" groups, smile and take it hunting with confidence.

Daryl

Page generated in 0.03164 seconds with 8 queries