View Single Post
Old May 9, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1
RSublime4Life

Variations between manuals?

Still reading as much as I can before I get started. I was comparing load data between manuals tonight and I noticed that some loads vary quite a bit from one manual to the next. I realize that test equipment varies from one to the other but I would think they would have similar results for the most part. Of the manuals I have it seems that the Hornady has the hottest loads of the bunch. I also realize I am new to this stuff and still learning so maybe I am wrong about how different they may be. Anyway here is an example: In the Hogdgdon manual for a 185 gr. Hornady JSWC its list the max load for Titegroup at 5.2 grains with a velocity of 946 fps. In the Hornady for the same bullet and powder it list the starting load at 5.1 grains with a velocity of 850 and the max load at 6.6 grains and a velocity of 1050. That seems like a huge difference! Unfortunately the other manual I have, Lyman, doesn’t list a load for Titegroup so I don’t have a 3 source to check. What are your findings as far as variations between the manuals for the same loads? Does Hornady run hotter then the rest? Or are the rest a bit conservative?

-Russ

P.S. Yes, I realize I shouldn't start out with the hot loads and I don't intend too. It is only an observation made about the data.

NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.02597 seconds with 8 queries