View Single Post
Old September 12, 1999, 01:14 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Knacks are good and will defeat a common thief. But if your thief is one of those guys who specialize in construction sites (and they are out there), Knacks don't stop them.

I would consider construction of the box and how the locking mechanism of the door is engineered.

Concerning the box, folded steel is stronger than welded plates. Some firms cut 5 plates, weld them together and then weld on a door frame. Bondo is used to hide the seams. Fort Knox, Browning, Liberty and Sportman's Steel used the folding method where they take a sheet and fold it. The top and bottom are welded but there's only one weld for the body.

Engineering of the door and its frame generally allows for the door to remain even if the hinges are attacked. Further, it should be engineered such that the door can't be pounded in with the results of the door dropping out (there was a fast food chain which bought a heavy safe which was attacked in this manner). You couldn't pry the door open, but if you hit it, it would cave in and drop out. Multiple working locking bolts on both sides (along with top and bottom) provide for an even more secure door. Virtually all manufacturers offer 2 relockers. Liberty's top of the line also offers a 3rd glass relocker (pane of glass with wires hooked to the bolts. If the glass is shattered, those bolts are locked and its time to call a locksmith). Everybody uses Sargent and Greenleaf locks. The best of S&G have which plastic tumblers (can't be x-ray) and have less feel for those with touch to crack a safe. If you go digital, wipe all the numbers after every use (defeats a bad guy who puts UV powder on the keypad).

No safe is invulnerable and a good torch cuts all. Most prowlers won't carry a torch tough and the best of them go for big jewelry firms and not us small guys with guns.

I would feel comfortable with any of the four brands I mentioned. Gunny is right. Get enough box since guns tend to propagate themselves if left alone in dark metal boxes.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Page generated in 0.03781 seconds with 8 queries