Thread: 7x57 carbine
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014, 04:05 AM   #6
Scorch

So you have a Mauser 1893 pattern rifle. It looks like a Spanish Oviedo 1916 short rifle. If it had the factory crown on the barrel it would be a radiused crown, if the crown is different it has likely been reworked at some point in its life. The receiver has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the bent bolt handle was likely done at the same time.

In the FWIW category: Most of the Oviedo rifles I have seen over the past 40 years since I got involved with firearms have had a rough life with mediocre maintenance and hard use, although I have seen some that were very clean. Most shoot just OK, and are not suitable for hot rodding. Value is low, likely not much more than $75 for a barreled action if it is complete, less if parts are missing. I paid $50 for a complete action last year that had already been drilled/tapped and new trigger, safety, and bolt handle installed (which is more than $50 worth of parts and work). If the magazine box is missing, it is a parts gun, it would cost more to buy a magazine box than the rest is worth. May be a nice project gun, if you are so inclined.

Page generated in 0.03085 seconds with 8 queries