View Single Post
Old May 26, 2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Joseywales3

Two short stories

I've bought 2 customs pistols so far:

1 - Custom 9mm 1911. The pieces were built by a known custom maker and asmebled by a known machinist who supplies many of the frames and slides used for custom guns. Outcome? $1,200 gun had a safety issue on the first trip to the range, because the safety was not fitted properly. Sent back for full refund, all parties very cordial.

2 - Custom Acusport 45 Colt revolver bought from one of the industry's most famous SA gunsmiths. You wouldn't believe it if I told you. Now I don't know much, but I know that the only weapon more simplified than a SA revolver is a spear. Well, my $1,400 Ruger would not even cycle when I first took it from the box. After breaking a nut trying to get the basepin out, I reassembled and took it to the range. After painstakingly getting it to shoot 15 rounds, I bailed. The famous maker had an attitude, as if somehow it was my fault that the cylinder on his "custom" revolver wouldn't turn. He didn't have to kiss my a$$, but how bout cordial at least??? I worked with him trying to diagnose the problem, after that he agreed to take it back. Of course, I'm out $100 in shipping and still no bang! I bought a used one with reamed cylinders for $475. Big bang, big smile!

Some of you mentioned the forums and guess what, that is where I got the answer to what was wrong with the gun. After talking with some less famous smiths online and even some shooters, I don't think it could have been anything other than an ill-fitted basepin. I just can't imagine what else would allow the revolver to function fine, then lock, then function fine, etc. The famous maker would never own up to that. The truth is, he probably didn't even perform the work himself, in fact, I'm starting to wonder how many smiths actually do. However, he sells it under his name, which I still don't necessarily have a problem with, as long as he oversees the more important aspects of the work and inspects the final product. I believe I paid for that much. Quality control, at least on my gun, was crap! I'm sure he got it back in hand, spent 3 minutes, and now it's a fine weapon for somone.

I've been in a service-oriented business for over 25 years and can tell you that the best opportunity one has to win a lifetime customer is when something has gone wrong. A lot of folks can get it right the first time, it's when things go bad that the character of the person/business come through.

My next customer revolver is on its way to me. A popular SA smith, but not the "fame", or cost, of the one listed above. For some reason, I'm much more confident that he builds each gun himself.

Just one man's story, which is exactly what these forums are for. It's up to each reader to determine, objectively, what their own course of action should be.

Last edited by Joseywales3; May 26, 2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spell check

Page generated in 0.03628 seconds with 8 queries