View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
IDT

.223 range brass - coming up short (length)

I've run into a situation that I can't figure out a decent explanation for...

I am in the habit of buying, in bulk, range brass. This is typically once-fired, and sometimes more. I buy no less than 2k at a time. (Talking of .223/5.56 here.) This was to secure my storage of brass for SHTF scenarios, kinda like the ammo shortage that has been around now for a while. So, just recently, I started reloading this brass.

I am careful. Each batch is LSD cleaned, tumbled and inspected. I run them all through a size/deprime die, then I trim them. I use a very good and extremely accurate case trimmer.
I set the case length to 1.750 (the minimum length as stated by both my Hornady and Speer books) - so that every single piece of .223 / 5.56 brass that I load can be guaranteed to be at 1.750", that way my C.O.A.L. is dead on for each seated round.
Here is where things get odd:
Typically on this range brass the case length has stretched to somewhere between 1.755" to 1.770" depending on the original case brand and the number of times it was shot. But today I was thrown for a loop when I find that my trimmer isn't even touching several pieces - not shaving anything off... So I sequester those rounds and keep going until I have trimmed about 500 pieces. Out of those 500 pieces a good 75 were short. When I put them on the calipers they were all measuring in around 1.745" to 1.748" which is below the case minimum. Now, keep in mind that these are FIRED brass - so they should have stretched...that means that they were probably around the 1.740" to 1.743" range before being fired.

Why? Why such a short case? Is there a .223 type gun that likes a shorter case than the normal 1.750"? Or, is it more likely that someone just goofed up a batch and fired them anyway?

Page generated in 0.03663 seconds with 8 queries