View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Comanche

My buddy scores big hunting today.

I was on stand this morning in Dawson county and my buddy was on an adjacent ridge.

We had a lot of movement today with the nice cold morning and I thought for sure they would be running.

Sure enough I had a smaller buck break out of the thicket to my right and came sneaking up but as soon as he popped his head out into the open , he stopped and turned around, walked right away from me, stopped, listened, sniffed while covered by thick brush.
All I could see we're his ears twitching for a minute then he went up the knob, turned and walked to my left at the crest of the ridge.
I never could get a clean shot.

A half hour later I hear my buddy shoot......then I see a large deer running full steam down the hill behind me, then as Its running I hear another shot from my buddy as I'm watching this deer quickly expire.

Five minutes later I hear another shot from my buddy.

This is what he witnessed .
Earlier in the morning he saw two bucks chasing a doe at full steam and could not get off a clean shot and they headed towards the road.

Later (when he shot.)... He saw the big buck chasing the doe and they were not moving fast this time so he nails the buck when it lifted his head coming straight at him.....he got it through the neck and it blew his heart to smithereens......that's the one that I saw expire near me.

The second shot was the doe that basically just hung around walking in circles after the buck ran off.

He dropped the doe right where she stood.

Then, five minutes later while he's still in stand, the young 4 pointer comes by and was trying to figure out how to mate this doe lying on the ground.
It was walking in circles, sniffing at her, trying to hump her but not quite sure how to do this.

Then my buddy dropped him in his tracks....lights out with a heart shot that also hit the spine on exit.

I took pictures of the big buck, he was a nine, almost tent pointer, very thick neck, very, very large body.....he was a monster.
my buddy laid down next to the buck to give an idea how big this thing was.......and the deer was actually bigger than my buddy.....LOL.

I just have crappy cell phone pics but I can get my buddy to email me the pics we took from his phone and I will try to get them loaded up.

What are the chances huh?

I know funny stuff can happen in pre rut and rut, but I've always had great luck on cold mornings like this.

Page generated in 0.03204 seconds with 8 queries