View Single Post
Old March 26, 2011, 06:31 PM   #29
price7204

OK. Flinching in anticipation of recoil indicates to me, that you KNOW when the shot is going to break. Why, because you are jerking the trigger. If you DON"T know when the break is coming, you are squeezing the trigger. If you will do some dry firing practice of just putting slow pressure on the trigger when the sights are on. When the sights drift off, hold what you have on the trigger, and when they drift back on continue your sloooooww gentle squeeze. Suddenly, without warning, the trigger will break. Here is how you tell if you are doing it right. THE BREAK WILL COME AS A COMPLETE SURPRISE. If it is NOT a surprise to you,-------- you are still jerking the trigger.

You have had this problem for a long time and some very bad habits have been repeated and are firmly established in your mind. It is going to take a concentrated effort to break these habits. You have to think about what you are doing on every shot. As to grip, there have been a lot of good opinions already mentioned. Personally, I judge my grip by one thing. I squeeze until my hand starts shaking, then relax a bit until the shaking stops, and break the shot. When you have, by dry firing practice and actual live fire at the range, are able to keep the sights on target when the shot breaks, you will eventually be able to break the shot when you want to without flinching. When you finally start shooting good consistant groups and then suddenly start throwing shots all over the paper, immediately go back to square one and work on the break coming as a complete surprise.

I am NOT a firearms instructor or a shooting guru, so all the above is in my humble opinion only and others mileage may vary. I do know that I whipped my jerking/flinching/anticipation problem by doing what I have told you in this post and I taught my boys and my wife to shoot by this means. It's worked for me and for my family and others, and I bet it will work for you. It's going to take a lot of practice to replace bad habits with good ones, and the way to start is to practice this on every shot, every time. Be honest with yourself. If you knew when the shot was going to break, you are doing it wrong. Again, later on, you will be able to break the shot cleanly and accurately and know when the break is coming, but NOT TO START WITH.

I hope this makes sense to you and that you will try this type of practice. You can whip this. Just consistantly apply this to each and every shot.

Good Luck, and do come back and tell us how you are doing using whatever means you choose to apply.

"Don't under estimate us old people. We can't run, but a lot of us know how to REALLY ruin your day!"

Page generated in 0.03819 seconds with 8 queries