View Single Post
Old May 24, 2010, 02:47 PM   #59
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have a 12" X 12" ceramic tile on my load bench and whatever I am loading goes on the tile. The jug of powder, the box of primers even if empty, and the bullet. That way there is no confusion if I leave and come back tomorrow to finish.
I keep the "active" components on the bench, as well. However, I write the load down (with the exception of OAL) on one of my reloading labels before starting. It stays next to the press, or on the loading block (if there's room) until the load is complete.

I also use procedures that allow me to leave at any given time, with the only possible negatives being powder exposed to slightly elevated humidity (there's a fish tank in my reloading room), and my scale not being covered - with the beam still on its knife edge pivot points. Aside from those minor drawbacks, I can return at any time, and know exactly what was going on.
("slightly elevated humidity" is pretty relative. "Elevated" levels here are still lower than much of the country.)

No need to see if the cases were charged... I only charge one at a time, immediately before seating a bullet.
No need to see if I got to die adjustment... I leave them backed way out of the press if I haven't adjusted them for the load yet.
No need to check my OAL again... Once I set the length for a load, I lock my calipers at that measurement. (The calipers don't get touched until the measurement is written down.)

And...
No need to worry about accidents with non-standard loads... If I'm working with something like Blue Dot reduced rifle loads, or am working with improvised data - my standard checks and balances are ignored. If I have to leave and come back, I recheck everything.
My standard set of checks and balances works very well for me (there are more than what was listed), but there is never a one-size-fits-all answer. With the non-standard loads, I don't take any chances.

Page generated in 0.02364 seconds with 8 queries