View Single Post
Old November 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
sissyhunter

I hope some coyote hunters have ethics

I have hunted all my life, and as a teenager hunted some coyotes with mouth calls in Idaho. This despite my father's unique ethic of never shooting a predator of any kind. He had an indian-like respect for certain fellow creatures. But whatever your ethical viewpoint, there has to be a limit. I just watched my first episode of Foxpro Furtakers where three hunters, one a Ruger company executive testing out a new gun, were hunting coyotes with one of Foxpro's artificial recording calls. The first coyote was a big beautiful thing. The Ruger guy shot at it on the trot, with no real need, and obviously hit it in the right rear thigh. The coyote reacted like one of my dogs would, spinning in a circle biting at the bloody wound. They tried to track the wounded animal but gave up after 3 to 500 yards. But what really bothered me is that not one of these humans made any comment about the suffering they inflicted on this animal that, like a human, can enjoy life, have fun, have a family, and otherwise live a life. Instead they commented about what a bummer it was that the Ruger guy didn't get the varmint. Thats another thing that bothers me about humans when hunting something that has feelings. The try to de-animalize animals by calling them derogatory names. We have a whole "varmint" rifle industry out there advocating killing these incredibly intelligent creatures. Anyway, these three hunters got right back to hunting, bemoaning their "bad luck" and again called in (with their recording gadget they sell on the show) and shot a huge coyote in the rear quarters. This one again spun around in circles and then gave the most horrible open-mouthed cry up into the air that I have ever seen an animal make. Please understand that if you choose to kill these animals you should take standing shots, you should make sure the animal is killed more or less instantly with your new hyper-velocity rifle. And please leave true wilderness areas alone (this was not one). What is the purpose of flying into a wilderness area of Canada to shoot wolves or grizzlies that are doing nothing more than participating in a complex ecosystem? Shoot coyotes where they are obviously too numerous because their natural predator -- the wolf -- has been slaughtered by humans and their past reckless stewardship of nature. But do it humanely, and like the indians, acknowledge you have taken the life of a fellow intelligent creature.

Page generated in 0.03106 seconds with 8 queries