View Single Post
Old October 29, 2001, 08:17 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A thimble is used in sewing, the word's a corruption of thumbnail. Think of a cup with parallel sides and a round bottom.Make the bottom thickest in the center. That's it.

Forster did the design and held the patent. I doubt most folks need to know this, but all non Brenneke full bore slugs made in the US are, TTBOMK, Forster style. They replaced the old "Punkin Ball", tho the name carried over in some cases.

Effect can be downright scary. A hunting bud saw me dispatch a herd control doe at about 35 yards with a shoulder shot. Tissue erupted off the deer, he thought I was using some secret LE only ammo with explosives in them. Doe left a very short blood trail, like 30 yards.Left shoulder blade was powdered, right(exit side) broken. Lungs and heart a ugly mess.3 finger wide entry wound.

BTW, that bud uses a NEF single shot w/ scope and sabots for his herd control gun. Quite accurate, tho it's too muzzle heavy for fast work. Recoil is stout. Blood trails run longer, even on heart shots. Call it an average of 50 more yards, hardly crucial in most cases.All slugs work when properly inserted....

Page generated in 0.01921 seconds with 8 queries