View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Will Lee

Hey Achilles,
Quote:
First batch of reloads are done! 75gr Hornady BTHP .223 to be fired from an AR15 (with a 1:7 barrel) in once-fired Federal Brass and CCI Small Rifle primers. Five batches of six with varying levels of H4895, ranging from 22.5g (recommended start point, according to the information from the Lee die set) to 24.4g (recommended max). I'm really looking forward to shooting them Sunday to test for accuracy.

My plan is this: 100 yard accuracy test with a 3-10x Leupold on the AR. The intent for the ammo is to be a 'general purpose' round, good for precise(ish) long distance (up to 500 yards) shooting but still being affordable enough to run sped drills. I have some factory 55gr FMJ that I was going to use to get bullets on paper, then shoot groups, then compare and contrast.

I am not an experienced reloader, when I say 'first batch', I mean 'first ever'. I'd love to hear about how you experienced guys conduct testing and if I'm on the right track here. Thanks in advance.
I set my upper, Bolt carrier, removed and adjust my gun holder so that the center of the bore is lined up on the sewer clean out plug then I adjust my scope so the cross hairs are on the center of the plug, checking back and forth between bore and scope. I do this off the floor with the garage door just open. Don't want the local LOE showing up wondering why I pointing a gun at someone's house.
This method will put your POI at 100 yards with in 4 to 5 inch of your POA.

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries