View Single Post
Old July 17, 2009, 01:32 PM   #17
lt dan

308 ability nonsense

every time i read one of these threads i have to remind myself that that what some hunters call "big game" on these threads is what we call plains game. asking if you can hunt these game with a 308win is kind of insulting.

saw an article in a very famous american hunting magazine in which the "pro hunter" author said that one cant hunt gemsbok with anything less than a 338 mag. this is nothing else than a lie.

i have been present where 35 gemsbok have been harvested in a morning with a 223.

some local hooligans went on a shooting rampage about 7 years ago and shot a tsetsebe 2x gemsbok a eland and a white rhino with a 308 using standard mil surplus ammo(7.62 nato)

now more often than not i have to read in us magazines about:" big bone thick skin game". these are supposed to be very difficult to shoot. in my opinion this is salesman talk. someone wants you to by a big bore rifle and are pitching you the sales talk b*s.

when i talk to visiting american hunters they all tell me that most of the articles one sees in american hunting mags about the ability of some cartridges are a bunch of lies. most of the big game in africa (ie the big 5)
have been taken with either the 7x57 or the 303 brit. keeping that in mind what is there in america that a 308win cant take?

having said all this it seems that the members of the firing line are not fooled by the press and about all the feedback you got here are correct.

Page generated in 0.02398 seconds with 8 queries