View Single Post
Old June 12, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
bradofhill

Home broken in to tonight

I came home this evening with my family, only to find two officers sitting outside waiting for us. Our home had been broken in to.

The bad guy, unknown to me, was reported by a neighbor to have ridden up to our front door where he knocked several times, and yelled to see if anyone was there. He then urinated on the front porch and rode around to the side of the house, laying his bicycle down and going through the latched fence leading to our backyard, and back door.

That same neighbor noticed the guy's bike was still there around 20 minutes later and called the police to check it out. An officer responded and entered when he saw the broken window on the back door, which was left ajar. He heard the BG upstairs and called out to him, then chased and arrested him when the BG bolted out the front door with about $1,000 of our stuff.

Thankfully my family wasn't hurt, and I'm glad that our stuff is all OK, but I can't help but wonder about something:

1) The BG walked through a room upstairs that had a handgun and two loaded magazines. What would the homeowners responsibility be if the BG shot the officer with it? A sickening thought, indeed!

I would also like to extend a word of thanks to any law enforcement persons who read this. The officer who took down the BG ended up wrestling him to the ground in the middle of the street, and took a few bumps and scrapes in the process. Sure it is his job and whatever, but I am touched by the fact that he did it on my behalf. So, lest the LEO types go feeling unappreciated, there are some people who are indeed grateful (except for last week's speeding ticket, but that is for another post).

Page generated in 0.02590 seconds with 8 queries