View Single Post
Old July 8, 2012, 06:10 PM   #42
Huskerguy

dickttx

I am all set up and running. I have been pretty busy and haven't had the time to really sit down and work everything through, just a few minutes here and there. I ended up getting the extra pistol rotor for small charges and it works very well. I load Titegroup with loads around and under 4 grains and this was meant for those loads.

I had some primer issues at first I will admit. I finally took everything apart in the priming area and started all over. I took the shuttle out and sanded it smooth, sprayed it with one shot and also sanded the slide it goes in. Checked the alignment of the piece that holds the primer tubes to make certain it is centered. Lastly I checked the adjustment on the top of the machine that moves the arm fore and aft for the primer shuttle to run against. I moved it fully away from me so the primer hole goes past center.

A very small piece of powder can sure slow things down when it gets caught in the primer button on the bottom. It hangs up ever so slightly and catches on the shuttle. Friday I ran about 150 rounds through and had one that didn't prime and one more that didn't full seat the primer. I am guessing the failure to fully seat was my fault. I try to over exaggerate the forward push and seat the primer but may have missed one.

I did discover I need a couple more bins for bullets and brass. That really slows things down not to have them right in front of me. I also set up the RCBS lock out die and it really works well. It does take some messing around with but it also does lock up your press with an empty or a double charge. I tried it just to see and it works.

As I imagined, a progressive is much different. There are a lot of things going on and speed is not my primary goal right now. I am still taking it slow to watch as much as I can each time. You asked about seeing the powder - yes you can but you need really good light and it is hard to get it in the right place. Once I get confident in what is going on I will greatly reduce the amount of time I spend churning out rounds. I would also mention that I do not own anything that takes large primers aside from my 30-06 which I plan to still reload on my old pacific single. Changing shell plates is a piece of cake. Really, it is all pretty simple once you take the time and really study how it works.

Last edited by Huskerguy; July 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.02251 seconds with 8 queries